Wow! What a moment in time we are experiencing as a country and as a world? A close friend shared the following quote with me from former CBS News radio broadcaster, Edward R. Murrow, which seems to be a fitting reminder for today, “We are not descended from fearful men.” Let me be the first to add “and women.” This country and its greatness have been built by strong men and women who have faced all sorts of challenges and tests. This is our moment. And, like those before us, this moment too shall pass.
In 1776, Thomas Paine wrote “The Crisis, Number One”, a commentary outlining obstacles the colonies faced in the struggle with Britain. His conviction was to unite the colonies. His opening line is strikingly pertinent today:
“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every-thing its value.”
Paine was facing the Revolutionary War and he knew the consequences of inaction and/or failure. He rallied the people by claiming “America has the ability to be and should be the happiest place on the earth.”
Today we find ourselves in similar circumstances but with one great exception: We are the greatest country on the planet. Despite the critics and naysayers the vast majority of Americans would not change places with anyone on the globe. And those who proclaim such nonsense, simply seek attention.
So, what now?
Here is my outline of what we see happening:
- For a while, ugliness will claim the headlines and the self-righteous will clamor for airtime and print.
- We will come together where it matters, as we always have - not with protests and bombastic remarks, but with unity and purpose to solve problems.
- We will see good works by many to help companies and individuals.
- Central banks and governments around the world will unite in force to help.
- We will find a vaccine for Covid-19.
- Politics will remain ugly – but so what? We’re all in this together. Let’s not be drawn into the fray.
- Our markets will recover.
- Mistakes will be made – this is not a reason to become antagonistic or hateful.
- Normalcy will return, toilet paper will be restocked, and our hands will be cleaner than ever before. :)
- This is not the end of America.
- Repeat – this is not the end of America nor its place in global leadership.
- Finally, let’s be mindful to pray for those who live elsewhere.
Remain hopeful. Bet on America! Take time to reflect on the luxuries we take for granted each day. Be grateful for the mere blessing you are here!
In the meantime, rest assured we are vigilant and proactive in our approach to investing. Never doubt that we value your trust and know we are available anytime to discuss your concerns.
OverRidge Wealth Advisors